At Lyft, community is what we are and it’s what we do. It’s what makes us different. To create the best ride for all, we start in our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization where all team members are recognized for what they bring.
Our drivers and passengers entrust Lyft with their personal information and travel details to get where they are going and expect us to keep that data safe. Lyft’s Privacy team is comprised of engineers and analysts dedicated to ensuring appropriate data protections are applied at all times. We conduct privacy risk assessments, consult with organizational stakeholders, maintain Lyft’s privacy program, develop privacy policies, and advise on all matters related to privacy.
As a member of the Privacy team you will help ensure that privacy is built into our products by design. Every day, you’ll have the chance to meet and work with stakeholders across the company working on exciting new projects, help de-risk their product development, assist with Privacy Impact Assessments, work with the Security team to ensure both privacy and security are built into products, and work collaboratively with teams across Lyft’s business units.
- Assist in the development of privacy policies and guidelines for Lyft
- Contribute to Privacy Impact Assessments of internal and external partners during the development or adoption of new technologies, systems, or programs
- Assist with various privacy-related projects, working as a liaison between teams
- Contribute to the maintenance of compliance and regulatory frameworks
- Identify trends in privacy and regulatory requirements and compliance enforcement, working as an advocate for the necessary changes in data privacy program
- Assist in the identification of data use violations by Lyft’s products and services, working proactively to drive resolution
- Explore, understand and analyze system designs, internal code base, and flow of data
- Experience: Currently pursuing a degree in Privacy, Data Science, Information Systems, Information Technology, Mathematics, Computer Science, or a related field, with at least one additional term of school to complete after the end of this internship
- Available during Summer 2020 for an internship
- Basic understanding of engineering design
- High technical aptitude, with a general understanding of coding fundamentals
- Interest/Background in policy, security, compliance, law, and government
- Basic understanding of data flow, familiarity with API a plus!
- Excellent communication skills
- Passion for policy surrounding data privacy
- Ability to thrive in a startup environment
- Experience with real-time technology problems
- Contributions to open source projects
- Experience working with databases
- Experience solving real-time technology problems
- Commitment to constant improvement and growth
- Aligns with Lyft’s Core values: Make it Happen, Uplift Others, and Be Yourself
- Familiarity with software development life cycle, data systems (RDS/Hive/Presto) and large scale data flows
- Contributions to the privacy community (bug bounty programs, public research, blogging, presentations)
- Any IAPP privacy certifications a plus!
- Apparent interest in technology, including building websites, contributing to open source initiatives, working in the university computer lab as an IT person, robotics competition, teaching kids to code, programming statistical analysis scripts for a medical study, participating in cybersecurity events, etc.
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- In addition to observed holidays, paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- Monthly commuter subsidy to cover your transit to work
- 20% off all Lyft rides
Lyft is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. Lyft does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. Lyft also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and other similar state laws and local ordinances, and its internal policy, Lyft will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.